“The club movement for women is a factor for modern progress. It has stimulated an intellectual and social life without, in the least, detracting from the duties of wifehood and motherhood. It is impossible for me to comprehend the narrow groove in which the majority of women have been forced to live, move and have their being in the past. Club life has revealed women to each other; it has established fellowship on purely human foundation.”
– Mrs. George R. Stocker, June 1891 (President 1888-1892)
1886 to 1920
- February 16, 1886 at 4pm: 12 enterprising women met in the Library Room of Wayne Hall; ‘these intelligent, congenial women met and dared discuss the subject of women’s clubs, then almost unheard of.’ Mrs. James Campbell was elected the first President. It was also decided by motion to meet alternate Saturday afternoons at 4 o’clock, the first meeting to be held on February 27th. Dues were set at one dollar for the temporary organization.
- March 8, 1886: The name ‘The Saturday Club’ was adopted.
- March 27, 1886: The Constitution and Bylaws were approved.
- April 1891: The Saturday Club applied for membership to the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
- October 1892: Dark green (freshness & growth) and white (purity) were chosen as the club colors, the motto ‘Dare to Be Wise’ was adopted and the Mountain Laurel was selected as the club emblem.
- 1886 to 1892: Meetings during this time were in the form of papers given by members. Each member belonged to a section: literary, art, science, music and household.
- 1893-1895: Membership increased to 65 members, 13 of which were men.
- January 1894: Philanthropic section was added to further the understanding of the need of homes and hospitals.
- March 5, 1895: The first ‘Tuesday’ meeting of The Saturday Club; Saturdays had become a business half-holiday and school holiday.
- April 15, 1895: Ballot system was introduced for the election of officers.
- October 17, 1898: A contract was signed with J.B. Lengel for the building of a clubhouse on a lot on West Wayne Avenue. After many meetings with architect Mr. David Knickerbocker Boyd, it was decided the building was to copy the architecture of Shakespeare’s house.
“We look forward to our clubhouse as being a rallying place for our members, which will lend a special interest and impetus to all our work, literary and social.”
– Mrs. Ware, Mrs. Johnson & Mrs. Smith, Building Committee Co-Chairs
- April 30, 1907: The Junior Saturday Club was formed for girls aged 17 to 23.
- October 1907: The 12th Annual Convention of the Pennsylvania State Federation was held at the Devon Inn and The Saturday Club served as Hostess; 400 women were in attendance from all over the state.
- June 1912: The Building Committee proposed adding a dining room to the basement and a stage on the ground floor. A $5,000 mortgage was approved for the Clubhouse alterations.
“We founded the first Kindergarten in Wayne. We also kept the Coffee House. The town was never allowed to have a saloon while the women kept the Coffee House. We founded the school gardens and organized the band concerts and the community Christmas tree. We also had musicals for the teachers.”
– Mrs. Parke Schoch, President, 1908-1912